THIS YEAR I continued my experimentation with Mom’s Sausage and Cheese balls. I think this year is the best I’ve come up with.
- 20 oz (two packages) Longaniza Sausage (it’s kinda like chorizo but much more firm).
- 2 lbs shredded cheese (I used a cheddar jack blend)
- 1 small box Jiffy cornbread mix
- 1 cup or so of bisquick or other baking mix (I used Jiffy’s mix)
- Spicy Salsa
- In a skillet, brown the meat a little while breaking it up. This causes the meat to release some oils and add a few Maillard reactions to the mix. No need to cook this all the way to crispy. Do not drain.
- Transfer the sausage to a mixing bowl and all all other ingredients.
- Combine thoroughly. Then refrigerate for a couple of hours.
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Make balls about 1 inch in diameter. Place them on a baking sheet about 1 inch apart.
- Bake for 30 mins.
Makes about 3 dozens.