Psalm 120 Ad Dominum
- WHEN I was in trouble I called upon the Lord: and he heard me.
- Deliver my soul, O Lord, from lying lips: and from a deceitful tongue.
- What reward shall be given or done unto thee, thou false tongue: even mighty and sharp arrows, with hot burning coals.
- Woe is me, that I am constrained to dwell with Mesech: and to have my habitation among the tents of Kedar.
- My soul hath long dwelt among them: that are enemies unto peace.
- I labour for peace, but when I speak unto them thereof: they make them ready to battle.
Psalm 121 Levavi oculus
- I WILL lift up mine eyes unto the hills: from whence cometh my help.
- My help cometh even from the Lord: who hath made heaven and earth.
- He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: and he that keepeth thee will not sleep.
- Behold, he that keepeth Israel: shall neither slumber nor sleep.
- The Lord himself is thy keeper: the Lord is thy defence upon thy right hand;
- So that the sun shall not burn thee by day: neither the moon by night.
- The Lord shall preserve thee from all evil: yea, it is even he that shall keep thy soul.
- The Lord shall preserve thy going out, and thy coming in: from this time forth for evermore.
Psalm 122 Laetatus sum
- I WAS glad when they said unto me: We will go into the house of the Lord.
- Our feet shall stand in thy gates: O Jerusalem.
- Jerusalem is built as a city: that is at unity in itself.
- For thither the tribes go up, even the tribes of the Lord: to testify unto Israel, to give thanks unto the Name of the Lord.
- For there is the seat of judgement: even the seat of the house of David.
- O pray for the peace of Jerusalem: they shall prosper that love thee.
- Peace be within thy walls: and plenteousness within thy palaces.
- For my brethren and companions’ sakes: I will wish thee prosperity.
- Yea, because of the house of the Lord our God: I will seek to do thee good.
Psalm 123 Ad te levavi oculos meos
- UNTO thee lift I up mine eyes: O thou that dwellest in the heavens.
- Behold, even as the eyes of servants look unto the hand of their masters, and as the eyes of a maiden unto the hand of her mistress: even so our eyes wait upon the Lord our God, until he have mercy upon us.
- Have mercy upon us, O Lord, have mercy upon us: for we are utterly despised.
- Our soul is filled with the scornful reproof of the wealthy: and with the despitefulness of the proud.
Psalm 124 Nisi quia Dominus
- IF THE Lord himself had not been on our side, now may Israel say: if the Lord himself had not been on our side, when men rose up against us;
- They had swallowed us up quick: when thy were so wrathfully displeased at us.
- Yea, the waters had drowned us: and the stream had gone over our soul.
- The deep waters of the proud: had gone even over our soul.
- But praised be the Lord: who hath not given us over for a prey unto their teeth.
- Our soul is escaped even as a bird out of the snare of the fowler: the snare is broken, and we are delivered .
- Our help standeth in the Name of the Lord: who hath made heaven and earth.
Psalm 125 Qui confidunt
- THEY that put their trust in the Lord shall be even as the mount Sion: which may not be removed, but standeth fast for ever.
- The hills stand about Jerusalem: even so standeth the Lord round about his people, from this time forth for evermore.
- For the rod of the ungodly cometh not into the lot of the righteous: lest the righteous put their hand unto wickedness.
- Do well, O Lord: unto those that are good and true of heart.
- As for such as turn back unto their own wickedness: the Lord shall lead them forth with the evil-doers; but peace shall be upon Israel.
Psalm 126 In convertendo
- WHEN the Lord turned again the captivity of Sion: then were we like unto them that dream.
- Then was our mouth filled with laughter: and our tongue with joy.
- Then said they among the heathen: The Lord hath done great things for them.
- Yea, the Lord hath done great things for us already: whereof we rejoice.
- Turn our captivity, O Lord: as the rivers in the south.
- They that sow in tears: shall reap in joy.
- He that now goeth on his way weeping, and beareth forth good seed: shall doubtless come again with joy, and bring his sheaves with him.
Psalm 127 Nisi Dominus
- EXCEPT the Lord build the house: their labour is but lost that build it.
- Except the Lord keep the city: the watchman waketh but in vain.
- It is but lost labour that ye haste to rise up early, and so late take rest, and eat the bread of carefulness: for so he giveth his beloved sleep.
- Lo, children and the fruit of the womb: are an heritage and gift that cometh of the Lord.
- Like as the arrows in the hand of the giant: even so are the young children.
- Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them: they shall not be ashamed when they speak with their enemies in the gate.
Psalm 128 Beati omnes
- BLESSED are all they that fear the Lord: and walk in his ways.
- For thou shalt eat the labours of thine hands: O well is thee, and happy shalt thou be.
- Thy wife shall be as the fruitful vine: upon the walls of thine house.
- Thy children like the olive-branches: round about thy table.
- Lo, thus shall the man be blessed: that feareth the Lord.
- The Lord from out of Sion shall so bless thee: that thou shalt see Jerusalem in prosperity all thy life long.
- Yea, that thou shalt see thy children’s children: and peace upon Israel.
Psalm 129 Saepe expugnaverunt
- MANY a time have they fought against me from my youth up: may Israel now say.
- Yea, many a time have they vexed me from my youth up: but they have not prevailed against me.
- The plowers plowed upon my back: and made long furrows.
- But the righteous Lord: hath hewn the snares of the ungodly in pieces.
- Let them be confounded and turned backward: as many as have evil will at Sion.
- Let them be even as the grass growing upon the house-tops: which withereth afore it be plucked up;
- Whereof the mower filleth not his hand: neither he that bindeth up the sheaves his bosom.
- So that they who go by say not so much as, The Lord prosper you: we wish you good luck in the Name of the Lord.
Psalm 130 De profundis
- OUT of the deep have I called unto thee, O Lord: Lord, hear my voice.
- O let thine ears consider well: the voice of my complaint.
- If thou, Lord, wilt be extreme to mark what is done amiss: O Lord, who may abide it?
- For there is mercy with thee: therefore shalt thou be feared.
- I look for the Lord; my soul doth wait for him: in his word is my trust.
- My soul fleeth unto the Lord: before the morning watch, I say, before the morning watch.
- O Israel, trust in the Lord, for with the Lord there is mercy: and with him is plenteous redemption.
- And he shall redeem Israel: from all his sins.
Psalm 131 Domine, non est
- LORD, I am not high-minded: I have no proud looks.
- I do not exercise myself in great matters: which are too high for me.
- But I refrain my soul, and keep it low, like as a child that is weaned from his mother: yea, my soul is even as a weaned child.
- O Israel, trust in the Lord: from this time forth for evermore.
Psalm 132 Memento, Domine
- LORD, remember David: and all his trouble;
- How he sware unto the Lord: and vowed a vow unto the Almighty God of Jacob;
- I will not come within the tabernacle of mine house: nor climb up into my bed;
- I will not suffer mine eyes to sleep, nor mine eye-lids to slumber: neither the temples of my head to take any rest;
- Until I find out a place for the temple of the Lord: an habitation for the mighty God of Jacob.
- Lo, we heard of the same at Ephrata: and found it in the wood.
- We will go into his tabernacle: and fall low on our knees before his footstool.
- Arise, O Lord, into thy resting-place: thou, and the ark of thy strength.
- Let thy priests be clothed with righteousness: and let thy saints sing with joyfulness.
- For thy servant David’s sake: turn not away the presence of thine Anointed.
- The Lord hath made a faithful oath unto David: and he shall not shrink from it;
- Of the fruit of thy body: shall I set upon thy seat.
- If thy children will keep my covenant, and my testimonies that I shall learn them: their children also shall sit upon thy seat for evermore.
- For the Lord hath chosen Sion to be an habitation for himself: he hath longed for her.
- This shall be my rest for ever: here will I dwell, for I have a delight therein.
- I will bless her victuals with increase: and will satisfy her poor with bread.
- I will deck her priests with health: and her saints shall rejoice and sing.
- There shall I make the horn of David to flourish: I have ordained a lantern for mine Anointed.
- As for his enemies, I shall clothe them with shame: but upon himself shall his crown flourish.
Psalm 133 Ecce, quam bonum!
- BEHOLD, how good and joyful a thing it is: brethren, to dwell together in unity!
- It is like the precious ointment upon the head, that ran down unto the beard: even unto Aaron’s beard, and went down to the skirts of his clothing.
- Like as the dew of Hermon: which fell upon the hill of Sion.
- For there the Lord promised his blessing: and life for evermore.
Psalm 134 Ecce nunc
- BEHOLD now, praise the Lord: all ye servants of the Lord;
- Ye that by night stand in the house of the Lord: even in the courts of the house of our God.
- Lift up your hands in the sanctuary: and praise the Lord.
- The Lord that made heaven and earth: give thee blessing out of Sion.